Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Did someone lose their Koi
I was out fishing the lower Provo this summer and noticed a bright red/orange Koi or great big gold fish swimming in a nice little hole, saw him a couple of times then no more. Yesterday I'm out there again (just like about every day) and it was back! it's hanging out with the regular carp, they seem to be moving up the river for the winter. I thought it was pretty cool, hopefully it spawns with the carp and makes easier targets for bow fishermen.
If you want it back come and get him, I didn't see any dog tags so I don't know who to call.
[signature]
You know some pond carp (koi) are worth alot of money and when they get big even more. I might want him if he is a koi sence i do have a small pond myself
[signature]
I can't guarantee he'll still be there but if you're interested I'll show you where he's at, maybe we could catch it...
[signature]
Find yourself an oriental fish market. I used to know of one that would buy live carp, if you had the brass to transport live fish to it.
[signature]
Yeah a big average quality koi can bring around $100 at a water garden store. I once read an article where someone in Texas caught a 12 lb. carp that was bright shiny gold. Some people though that it was most likely a goldfish/carp hybrid. Goldfish, koi, carp, and true minnows are all very closely related, just like all the species of trout. Goldfish and koi are basically fancy domestic carp. Attached are pictures of a big wild goldfish, then a blackish goldfish carp hybrid
[signature]
Some guys are saying the Koi i got is actually a mirror carp koi Hybrid check this one out,i can kinda figure from the scales..Hey Ryan,sweet gold fish koi hybrid man!
[signature]
Hello,

I do not want to put the damper on anyone's plans, but please be aware that catching this fish and transporting it live, even to a small backyard pond, would be illegal.

Paul Birdsey
Coldwater Sportfish Coordinator
Utah Division of Wildlife Resources
[signature]
If someone wanted to get fish (or crawdads, etc) for say, a backyard pond of sorts, is there any way to get a permit from the DWR to do something like that, or do you have to purchase them from a private entity?
[signature]
Ornamental fish such as goldfish may be purchased from a vendor and stocked into a backyard pond without a permit. Other species would require either a permit or exemption certificate depending on the species and location of the pond. No fish or crayfish could be collected from the wild. The best place to get the specifics would be from the staff at one of our regional offices.

Paul Birdsey
Coldwater Sportfish Coordinator
Utah Division of Wildlife Resources
[signature]
I live close to the State Fair grounds. The Jordan river in this area is full of Gold Fish. Assuming they dump the left over or people dumping the Fair GF in the river. Some get pretty big. Maybe the same is true for that area.
[signature]