• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
record trout

Check out this record Idaho rainbow!! Mike

https://idfg.idaho.gov/press/pocatello-m...nbow-trout
[signature]
Wow, that's a beauty!

Mike
[signature]
Wow, a 30" bow, that thing is a tank, bet is is a very old fish, not many get that size.
[signature]
I wonder what category the rainbow cutthroat trout fall into . Rainbow or Cutthroat. Or if it has its own category. There are several fish bigger than that caught and released every year . Joni , flygodess released a 36" beauty a few years back .
[signature]
Nice fish, how are the steelheads classified different than the rainbows? Seen a lot of steelheads that look like that bow.... guess there must be a difference in the record book between the ocean run cousins... But very nice fish, love the river shape fish versus the pond bows that are not as sleek and healthy looking... Thanks for the post... Later J
[signature]
I know there is at least one fish and game guy that post on this board, he would be your best source to ask that question about what category the rainbow cutthroat trout falls into.
[signature]
Damon Keen is the biologist for Henry's Lake. I was hoping he would comment. I know he is on this forum .
[signature]
I tried to find a post from him but haven't, do you know what his username is?
[signature]
I don't.
[signature]
The initial post clarified the guidelines. This is a catch and release record that must have photo's with a tape to verify length and a second person to verify. As I understand it would include all rainbow hybrid species. I have caught a couple fish a little longer including a 32" hybrid last fall at Henry's that I did not think was recovering well enough to even take a picture or go through
the measuring and verifying process before releasing. It is a new category as of a couple years ago.
[signature]
Greetings,
State records for hybrid trout are handled as their own species - rainbow/cutthroat hyrbrids and tiger trout are the typical categories. You'll see them on the current record list for catch/release records and for certified weight records.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/fish/record

Catch and release records started in 2016, but IDFG also made a few additional changes at that time:

- Split out rod/reel non-game records from the bow fishing archery records (typically for carp)

- Split out rainbow trout from Gerard rainbows (since the Lake Pend Oreille fish might as well be in their own class).

The latest catch/release smallmouth record was just set from the Pend Oreille River with a 22" hog a few weeks ago. Also a nice fish!

https://idfg.idaho.gov/blog/2018/05/pend...smallmouth

Martin Koenig
Sportfishing Program Coordinator
Idaho Department of Fish and Game
[signature]
Thanks so much for your reply, that really helps clear this up.
[signature]
Thank you , that's what I thought.
[signature]
That is how I remember it these records for catch and release started in 2016 which makes it fun. So each trout species have their own catch and release record. Brown Cutthroat, Rainbow Hybrid Rainbows with Cutts (Henry's
Lake) Rainbow Salmon Hybrids(Kamloops) which are the predominant cross in Idaho Brooks etc.
[signature]