Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Over night on the ice?
Great post! Huge contrast between your story and the stories of all the others with tents and gear blown across the ice! It's a great illustration of the virtues of preparedness.

I can imagine it's easy to justify using minimal anchoring particularly since you're anxious to start fishing and after all -- it's a tent and you might decide to move it to a better location soon after trying the present location.

I suppose many might have figured they could add more anchors, IF it gets windy.

It reminds me of my childhood growing up on family boating. We would do ocean crossings in high seas too rough for others to consider it and think nothing of it as it was routine. Sure the boat was made more seaworthy with many modifications, but it wasn't the boat. We would have done the same with any of a great many of boats that stayed inland. It was the preparedness nature of the family and learning by gaining more confidence each time with hardships just becoming another adventure.

An insurance company says "It's never too late to buy insurance, until it is." Preparedness is that way.

We've had posts on why do you fish? All the uasual reasons apply for me, but some big ones are preparedness related. Fishing is preparedness. It facilitates eating! Fishing is also related to use of many other forms of preparedness such as the camping, transportation, equipment, boats, logistics, skills - learning and getting better.

Besides, for our various outdoor fun sports, there are some good excuses to be prepared should you need them: Safety is a big one!

be prepared, be very prepared
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Over night on the ice? - by slchillbilly - 02-11-2018, 10:26 AM
Re: [Jedidiah] Over night on the ice? - by RonPaulFan - 02-13-2018, 01:53 AM