Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Burning Question About Lake Powell Stripers???
It has been several years since I have fished Powel for stripers. What I remember is; in the spring the striper will push the shad up into the ends of a canyon and then when they have them trapped, they have a feeding frenzy.

We would camp at Bullfrog and fish, I think Cider Spring canyon. When you see fish on your finder, in the end of whatever canyon you chose, then stop the boat and start fishing. We would always use a white marabu jigs tipped with a piece of an anchovy. In the fall of the year the fish would be on the walls in deeper water.

In either case the key is finding the fish. In the spring the water in the ends of the canyons can be heavily stained due to the runoff. If it is too stained you won't catch fish, but a little is okay. Watch for boils, they are fun to fish. If you are fishing a boil, a top water lure like a zara spook or ever a lure like a rattle trap will work good.

They are big strong fish, if they are healthy. Every few years they will eat the shad to near extinction and then the striper get thin and die off. Then the cycle starts again. The shad come back and the stripers follow.

Hope you have a great trip and a happy birthday. Let us know how you do.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [Old_Coot] A Burning Question About Lake Powell Stripers??? - by KJFN - 02-21-2004, 03:36 PM