Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Burning Question About Lake Powell Stripers???
Hey Old Coot, as a fellow Davis County resident with a few years behind me and who has fished Powell at least once a year for 30 years, I would be happy to share my experience with you. I like to catch stripers at Powell, but mostly to "thin the herd" to help out the other species. The striper vacuum cleaners just plain eat too much. I have found May is a good month, particularly the last half. Look in the canyons a dozen or so miles from the boat ramps because they often go back into them herding the shad into the shallows. One trick I found is to look for the ravens. Those sneaky birds watch the stripers and shad schools and when the stripers attack the shad next to the bank,the shad often leap out of the water trying to escape, right onto the sand and rocks. The ravens swoop down and pick up the shad before they have a chance to wiggle back into the water. It is the craziest thing you ever saw. So, every May when I go down, one of the first things I do is look for the ravens. Cast anything silver right next to the shore and hang on. You can fill the boat. Mr. J.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [Old_Coot] A Burning Question About Lake Powell Stripers??? - by MRJ - 02-23-2004, 03:39 AM