Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake at night?
"The couple times I caught decent numbers of crappies through UL ice, I was catching other species as well. I had learned on this site to lower my jigs slowly through the holes, letting the jigs keep my line straight, if not actually tight, rather than just dumping them down the hole. Often enough, a crappie would take it on the fall, and a tiny TICK would be visible in the line, OR the line would stop sinking as the jig sank. That was a crappie taking the lure on the drop."

[#0000FF]I have had good success in finding and catching suspending crappies by doing just the opposite. First I drop to the bottom. Then I slowly bring the jigs up about six inches at a time...first wiggling it and then letting it sit completely motionless. Watch and feel for the tick...or a line twitch. Keep track of where the bites occurred and then bring your jig back up off the bottom to that level on subsequent drops. If you run out of action, go back to the drop and staggered lift routine. Different groups of fish may be cruising at different depths.[/#0000FF]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread