Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
getting Tin-Can ready for summer
(03-09-2021, 03:07 PM)dubob Wrote: You do know that you can buy Flex Seal in a paintable, liquid form, don't you?  Flex Seal products are my 'go to' products for water leaks.  I have used the spray, tape, and liquid and they all were 100% effective.  Nothing wrong with your approach Tin-Can, but the Flex Seal liquid might of been easier to apply.  Maybe next time.  Big Grin

Yeah Bob, I have used Flex Seal also on other applications. I've had this boat almost 14 years, and I have a hunch that the water is coming in thru some of the bottom hull rivet lines. I can't get access to those on the inside to paint without pulling up my entire decking. The decking is all riveted to the longerons and ribs that are in the bilge area. The bilge all drains back toward the transom where the water can be pumped out by the bilge pump, so until the leak gets to  the point of causing a bigger concern, I just control it with the pump.  The rubber  membrane I put in yesterday is an effort to seal the dry box area off from the bilge area where the bottom hull curves up to the boat wall.  Any water that leaks in now from the hull should be held out from the bottom of the box, hopefully.   I checked the membrane today and it was all stuck down good, so
I'm taking the boat out to WB south tomorrow to do a float and leak test.   

(03-09-2021, 12:36 AM)Mooseman75 Wrote: I hate leaks, they bug me to no end. Sorry you have them I hope your trick works. The only thing I have used is a marine grade putty that I've put on screws before too stop potential leaks. I just can't remember what's called.

Aluminum, riveted hull boats will eventually develop some leaks. I knew that when I bought this one new in July 2007.  I've only put holes below the water line where my sonar unit is mounted. I sealed those bolts with Dow Corning aircraft fuel cell sealant, and they have held great for almost 14 years.  Any other leaks there may be are most likely coming in from loose rivet areas in the hull, and I can't get to them unless I pull off my entire decking inside the boat.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool

Messages In This Thread
getting Tin-Can ready for summer - by Tin-Can - 03-08-2021, 10:44 PM
RE: getting Tin-Can ready for summer - by dubob - 03-09-2021, 03:07 PM
RE: getting Tin-Can ready for summer - by Tin-Can - 03-09-2021, 11:09 PM
RE: getting Tin-Can ready for summer - by Tin-Can - 03-10-2021, 09:05 PM