Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Flaming Gorge WY. side worth the money
I think some of the math in the above posts is dubious at best, in terms of cost per fish. Looking outside of just license fees, you're $60-100 a night for the hotel, $200+ in gas for the truck and boat (depending on where you are driving from), meals, tackle, launch fees, etc. Now some of those costs exist anywhere you go, but at least in my case, the cost to go to the Gorge is significantly greater than Strawberry, any way you slice it. If you model all of that into the cost per fish, it's the worst deal going. You'd be better off at Costco.

But to TubeDude's point, can you put a price on all of the memories and experiences? No. I agree Strawberry has been fishing well, and producing some monsters, but the Gorge's average fish has tended to be 6-12 oz larger than Strawberry this year. Additionally, the bycatch at Strawberry is cutts, which are an absolute nuisance, whereas the bycatch at the Gorge is lakers, which are delicious. Always worth the trip, IMO.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Flaming Gorge WY. side worth the money - by BYUHunter - 07-12-2021, 09:01 PM