Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Updated Bear Lake cisco run/fishing report for 1/28/2022
Thanks for the report. Yesterday I went to Bear lake twice. Once in the morning, and once in the evening. In the morning, I dipped my limit of Cisco in less than 30 minutes. Sometimes I got 10 at a time! The sweep the net method was working better for me than the scoop method. The fish weren't getting close enough for me to just scoop them, so I swept the net to one side and lifted it.

After we got our limits at Cisco Beach, my friend and I wanted to try the rock piles north of the marina. Since we don't have a fancy boat, we launched a canoe and braved the ice. We only made it to Cisco rock pile, and we didn't mark anything. The ice was too thick to go any further, so we tried to troll around the marina, but the ice was too thick and started grabbing our lines.

I went up in the evening with a different friend to try for cutthroat and Cisco from Cisco Beach. We got there as the sun was setting and the waves were too large for the Cisco to come in. After the sunset, the waves calm down a little bit and we went hunting for Cisco with headlamps. In the dark, the Cisco are more stationary and less easily spooked. They also only travel alone. We saw maybe 10 Cisco, but my friend only scooped up one.

I've got a question, I have access to a canoe, and would really like to get into some lake trout, cutthroat, trout, and whitefish. Jigging the rock pile off ideal beach or trolling Cisco Beach seems like a good bet. The rock pile is 4 mi away from the marina, but only a mile and a half away from hunters Point. I think all of the marinas by Gus riches point and ideal beach are private, so I might have to launch out of Hunter's Point in order to get to the rock pile. Besides those two areas, are there any other places I should try? I hear a lot about the pump house and first and second point, but I would probably need GPS coordinates to find where to actually fish. I also don't know where the pump house is. Any help is appreciated.

Also, Cisco are delicious!
[Image: PXL-20220128-053207111.jpg]

Additionally, does time of day matter for jigging Cisco/ other species? What about trolling?
Be boundless,
Bryce (Fisheries and Aquatic Science, USU)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Updated Bear Lake cisco run/fishing report for 1/28/2022 - by Boundless Bryce - 01-28-2022, 03:42 PM