Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 4-8-22 (WITH VIDEO)
Friday’s weather forecast was perfect for tubing…warm and calm.  So I headed for the south marina on Willard Bay.  Launched right at 7 am…along with a steady procession of other optimistic anglers in boats.  Air temp was a still chilly 32…but calm.  Water temp in the marina was only 44…with the cold water being dumped in at the inlet.  Depth at the ramp was 3’…going to 4 feet in the boat basin.  Channel was from 10 to 13 feet deep and the water is rising.  It has come up to the base of the rocks around the dike.
 [Image: WILLARD-LAUNCH.jpg] [Image: RISING.jpg]
Recent experience and reports from others told me the fish would be in 10-12 feet of water.  So that’s where I started dragging my fligs.  At 9:30 I had covered a whole lotta water with only a couple of feeble pop and drops.  And my sonar showed a mostly empty water column in those depths.  It was like the great Willard desert.

As other have heard me say (too often)…”Ya cain’t ketch ‘em where they ain’t.”  Since water temps had bounced up a couple of degrees I reasoned that the water would be slightly warmer in shallower water than where I had been fishing.  So I motored in to as little as 3 feet of water and then started fishing my way back out deeper.

When I got between 5 and 6 feet of depth one of my rods went bendo and I killed the skunk with a chunky kitty.  And as soon as I had it off my line and in my basket the other rod bounced and I was fighting another kitty.
 [Image: GOTCHA.jpg]  [Image: 2-FOOTER.jpg]
Over the next couple of hours I landed a total of 6 cats…keeping 4 for a couple of meals of kittie krispies.  I had an orange tiger flig on one rod and a pink tiger flig on the other.  And I caught 3 cats on each.  That’s only fair.

[Image: ORANGE-TIGER.jpg]
  [Image: PINK-TIGER.jpg]  [Image: DINNER.jpg]

No walleyes or wipers were harmed in the making of this report.  And I doubt the boaters did much better.  I noticed they were all moving around a lot and not staying in any one area very long.  And the couple I talked to back at the ramp confirmed that.  Nada.  I was outta there and on my way home a bit after noon…for an old man’s nap.
LINK TO VIDEO

Messages In This Thread
Willard 4-8-22 (WITH VIDEO) - by TubeDude - 04-09-2022, 12:39 PM
RE: Willard 4-8-22 (WITH VIDEO) - by wiperhunter2 - 04-09-2022, 01:25 PM
RE: Willard 4-8-22 (WITH VIDEO) - by TubeDude - 04-09-2022, 01:45 PM
RE: Willard 4-8-22 (WITH VIDEO) - by LundLefty - 04-09-2022, 08:06 PM
RE: Willard 4-8-22 (WITH VIDEO) - by TubeDude - 04-09-2022, 09:14 PM
RE: Willard 4-8-22 (WITH VIDEO) - by doitall5000 - 04-09-2022, 08:37 PM