Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Big Fish Morning at UT Lake 8 20 2022
Jim is going down the same road I have been going with fligs...and which a lot of other anglers are discovering too.  That is that many fish...even bottom dwellers like catfish...often respond well to baits that are served above the bottom...with some color, flash and vibration. 

I have used the SNG (SpinNGlo) lures for a lotta years...first for salmon and steelhead in the northwest and then for walleye and other species since.  That includes catfish.  Not surprisingly, offshore saltwater anglers have been using the humongo models for big halibut and ling cod up in Alaska.  And rockfish anglers in southern California have discovered that using them ahead of 'chovies or squid does wonders in getting more fish attention too.  And here in Utah (Flaming Gorge) the "mack pack" has found them effective in trolling for the larger fish.

I tried making some of my own SNGs and came up with some that were creditable and worked.  But they take a lot of time and ain't any better than the originals so I made a left turn.  My solution was to add small "buzz blades" to an easily fabricated foam (flig) body.  The little multibladed buzz blades really spin easily at the lowest speeds and put out a lot of "come hither" vibrations.  This is the first year they have been tested and so far the results are promising.  Not trying to sell any but if anyone wants to add some commotion and color to their offerings try getting some of those commercially available mini buzz blades.

I am attaching a writeup I put together (surprise surprise) on the making and use of the buzz fligs.  It has a preface on the SNGs with some pictures you might like.  And for anyone who would like to try making their own I am always available for show and tell.

Attached Files
.pdf   GET A BUZZ ON.pdf (Size: 2.12 MB / Downloads: 7)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Big Fish Morning at UT Lake 8 20 2022 - by TubeDude - 08-26-2022, 05:51 PM