Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another bad catching day, what is up this Winter!!
Curt the first of the winter was exactly like you say for me, I was about 1-2 fish per trip... Not at all like usual... I blamed it on the low water for two years and that concentrated the ice pressure and I think a ton of fish were harvested over those two years, so this winter after another low water level, i think all the fish were harvested and I just don't think there are many fish left in the ponds... Couple that with the fish and game reducing their stocking numbers so they don't have fish die out with low water and I think that's a big part of the tough ice year...

But then came February and March, I've done really really well the last 5-6 weeks, part of it is fishing lakes that aren't as effected by low water the other part is a friend loaning me his 360 to try.  It's a game changer for finding good locations... Also let's you know when the fish are gone so you don't have to stay there freezing when there's nothing around anyway... My average over the last 20 trips is probably 15 fish per day, which isn't like me.... I hope it holds, but even if it doesn't I've had an excellent ice season this year... It even includes some boat trips to Willard in the middle of the winter... I haven't camped on the ice this year, but kind of haven't had a big enough window to go do it... It's okay Bear Lake is only and hour 15 away and fishes kind of like the gorge, at least I don't have to burn as much gas to not catch a big mac... later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Another bad catching day, what is up this Winter!! - by SkunkedAgain - 03-05-2023, 05:39 AM