Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some more AIS info
I’ve been researching further requirements for our recently updated AIS Program in Utah.  The original change to a decal system requested that the decals could be obtained from two sources; the On-Line course web sight and the DMV.  The DMV declined to participate.  So, the only place to get the decal is online at this link: STD of Utah for Residents.  You can get them at any DWR office.  They must be purchased online.  I’m not sure how they work around the few folks in the state that don’t own a computer or smart phone – yes, there are a few of those still around.

I also explored the requirement to display the Decontamination Certificate form on the tow vehicle’s dashboard.  I emailed the AIS Field Information office and got back the following:

“Display of Education Course. That is required because we are not able to verify if a watercraft is certified while it is on the water. We do not have the ability to monitor watercraft on the water, while our staff is in the parking lot. That is one way we can verify compliance with vehicles in the parking lots is the Certification Form on the dashboard. We have begun initial discussions about a second decal that could be placed on the Tongue of the trailer. This would allow for the boater and the AIS Staff to verify certification status without the form on the dashboard. I am not sure how this will go either.”

So, for the time being, we are stuck with placing documentation on the dashboard.  But which document?  Well, you have a choice.  You can display either the Decontamination Certificate or the receipt certificate from your purchase of the decal.  You do NOT have to display both.

I also voiced my opinion that ALL water vessels (registered or not) should be required to purchase & display the decal on the vessel.  The field agent I spoke with agreed 100% and the AIS division of the DWR is working toward that end.  And we might get lucky with attaching a second AIS decal to the trailer as well to eliminate the need for documentation on the dashboard.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."

Messages In This Thread
Some more AIS info - by dubob - 09-12-2023, 09:35 PM
RE: Some more AIS info - by RockyRaab2 - 09-13-2023, 11:30 AM
RE: Some more AIS info - by Gone Forever - 09-17-2023, 01:54 PM
RE: Some more AIS info - by dubob - 09-17-2023, 08:27 PM
RE: Some more AIS info - by smokepoles - 09-18-2023, 03:20 AM
RE: Some more AIS info - by RockyRaab2 - 09-17-2023, 04:19 PM