Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Lithium Batteries / charger for Boat
(11-28-2023, 05:38 PM)Therapist Wrote: I was talking to the guy at Backwater Sports, they are the Minn Kota Service center in North Orem.  I was thinking of replacing my 36Volt system with Lithium batteries when the current Wet cells die.  He did not recommend using Lithium because the tend to burn your motor out.  He said if you do go to Lithium, do not run the motor over 80% .  Now I did not ask if he was talking older motors with brushes or both with or w/o brushes,  but thought that was an interesting piece of information that no one talks about !!  I still have 2-3 years left on my current batteries,  so I am not gong to worry about it.  But do some more research on it before you invest,  might save you not only the price of Lithium batteries, but also a new motor !!!

I've heard this in the past.  Just did a quick search on Minn Kota's site and found this.

https://minnkota-help.johnsonoutdoors.co...ing-Motors

It doesn't look like lithium batteries should be a problem with a minn kota trolling motor.

I've been using Li-time lithium with mine this year and have not had any problems.  I can get about 8 hours trolling on calm days with my 16 foot boat with a 24v system 100 ah.  One of the big advantages is that they charge much faster than either lead acid or AGM. Hope this helps.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lithium Batteries / charger for Boat - by mjlevie - 11-29-2023, 09:01 PM