Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Lithium Batteries / charger for Boat
I've had several boats over the years and currently have a Thunderjet with two outboards and a 24v electric motor.  I have a two bank charging system for the two AGM electric trolling motor batteries.  Each outboard has it's own marine, wet cell cranking battery.  I have never had, or seen a need for a charger for my outboard cranking batteries.  As long as one of the outboards is running, it's cranking battery is being charged by the outboard.  I typically get 7 years plus out of my cranking batteries and I have never used a charger on them - ever.

The only issue that I'm aware of with lithium batteries and cold weather is that you can not charge them when it is cold.  If they are charged, they work just fine in cold weather.  My Vexilar has a lithium and has worked just fine in -20 degree weather.

I am not impressed with the lighter weight of lithium when it comes to being used in a fishing boat.  Your outboard could care less if you carry a few extra pounds of wet cell battery weight.  And I seriously doubt you can tell the difference in your boats performance by shaving a few pounds of battery weight.

Good quality marine batteries will give you many years of excellent service if properly maintained.

But hey, it's your money.  Spend it on whatever you want.

Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lithium Batteries / charger for Boat - by dubob - 11-29-2023, 11:05 PM