Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Lithium Batteries / charger for Boat
(11-28-2023, 11:53 PM)Bassin_Blitz Wrote: I just finished my third year with Lithiums, I can't speak for the Li-time brand I have Ionics and they are awesome.

No issues

Thanks for the encouraging info on them... J

(11-29-2023, 01:46 AM)Mr. J Wrote: Jeff, I had a NOKO 3 bank charger in my boat (recommended by Scott T) it worked as it was supposed too. As mentioned it has a charging designator on each bank, so you need to be sure you have it set for the type battery you have. Keep in mind that you have to have one bank for each battery you charge. I have a Minn Kota in my new boat, can't tell you much about that one.

rj

Thanks Richard, it's supposed to get here this weekend, then I'll have a better idea of what it looks like and how it will work.  Thank you very much for the heads up... Sounds like the 3 bank was a good idea... Thank you... Jeff

(11-29-2023, 01:48 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: Here is my take:
1) I've had the NOCO 2 bank charger for at least 9 years.  Works flawlessly.  
2) I don't believe the part about LI batteries burning out a motor.  12V is 12V.  Maybe you can run the motor for longer period since the batteries have more reserve capacity than lead batteries, but it simply cannot "burn out" a motor.  I've used LI batteries on very expensive (and very sensitive) equipment where we used lead batteries in the past.  We've never had an issue with ANYTHING except they LI batteries weigh less and they run longer.  
3)  I have also used LI batteries in VERY cold, extended conditions and have not had an issue with them decharging anymore than lead batteries.

Scott, I think I like all 3 of your points and I have seen the same results with my limited small battery experience, so I tend to agree with what you have provided, not to mention that it was exactly what I wanted to hear... Thanks Scott... Later Jeff

(11-29-2023, 05:08 PM)Therapist Wrote:
(11-29-2023, 01:48 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: Here is my take:
1) I've had the NOCO 2 bank charger for at least 9 years.  Works flawlessly.  
2) I don't believe the part about LI batteries burning out a motor.  12V is 12V.  Maybe you can run the motor for longer period since the batteries have more reserve capacity than lead batteries, but it simply cannot "burn out" a motor.  I've used LI batteries on very expensive (and very sensitive) equipment where we used lead batteries in the past.  We've never had an issue with ANYTHING except they LI batteries weigh less and they run longer.  
3)  I have also used LI batteries in VERY cold, extended conditions and have not had an issue with them decharging anymore than lead batteries.
i had never heard anything like it also,  but when Carl, the service tech, told me that, I began rethinking Lithium.  I think it needs to be researched more.  About chargers,  I've had a 2 bank Minn Kota on my 1996 Skeeter ( which is for sale by the way ) for the last 15 plus years and have loved it.  When I purchased my Pontoon this past summer I went looking for a charger for it,  36 volt plus the starting battery.  Found a used NORCO 4 bank and it has been doing a good job so far.  Will really give a test this coming year !!  It will not charge Lithium, so another reason that I probably will stay with wet cell batteries !!
Thanks for the encouragement about the charger, I'm looking forward to not pulling the batteries to charge them... J

(11-29-2023, 09:01 PM)mjlevie Wrote:
(11-28-2023, 05:38 PM)Therapist Wrote: I was talking to the guy at Backwater Sports, they are the Minn Kota Service center in North Orem.  I was thinking of replacing my 36Volt system with Lithium batteries when the current Wet cells die.  He did not recommend using Lithium because the tend to burn your motor out.  He said if you do go to Lithium, do not run the motor over 80% .  Now I did not ask if he was talking older motors with brushes or both with or w/o brushes,  but thought that was an interesting piece of information that no one talks about !!  I still have 2-3 years left on my current batteries,  so I am not gong to worry about it.  But do some more research on it before you invest,  might save you not only the price of Lithium batteries, but also a new motor !!!

I've heard this in the past.  Just did a quick search on Minn Kota's site and found this.

https://minnkota-help.johnsonoutdoors.co...ing-Motors

It doesn't look like lithium batteries should be a problem with a minn kota trolling motor.

I've been using Li-time lithium with mine this year and have not had any problems.  I can get about 8 hours trolling on calm days with my 16 foot boat with a 24v system 100 ah.  One of the big advantages is that they charge much faster than either lead acid or AGM. Hope this helps.

Thank you, that is a great reference... If you noticed in the comments it recommended not running your motor above 85% power with Lithiums kind of in line with the above comments... I really appreciated your run time recommendation, that was kind of what I was looking for... I don't hardly ever get more than 8 hours at a time to fish.... Wish I did, but not often if ever, and I doubt I would use the motor full time for that long of a trip...  Thanks a bunch this was very helpful... J

(11-29-2023, 09:54 PM)chubby chaser Wrote:
(11-27-2023, 09:05 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I didn't take notes when this conversation was had before so wondering if you'd mind repeating some of this info???
First off for a trolling motor 24 volt, how many amp hours of power do you need to run all day?  (Will 100 amp-hours work?)
Second on an online bank charger on a boat, if you have 24 volt trolling motor and a 12 volt starting motor would I need a 3 bank or two bank charger? If a 3 bank do you have to unhook the jumper wires so the batteries can be charged one at a time? This assumes I am using 2 12V batteries wired in series to make the 24V....  
Third, I think, Has anyone had any experience with LiTime lithium batteries?  Are they any good?  I see they have a cyber Monday deal where you can get two for $475... I think that is about half of what they were last time I looked, so since I need new trolling batteries, i think I'm going to take that plunge... Let me know what you think... Thanks Jeff

Are the Noco Genius a good boat charger?

not sure about lithium, I've heard good and bad but currently run two 12 volt AGM's and need to replace one this spring, so will probably stay that way.   I can run all day (6-8 hours) at medium high throttle with my 22' tritoon and minnkota terrova 80# with that set up.   I can definitely vouch for the NOCO, they are great. I have one on my cranking battery and a 2 bank on my trolling motor batteries.  I installed a plug that lets me run an extension cord to it and plug it in easily at the end of the day and it charges them right up and maintains them for longer spells between boating. been very happy with them.

That is exactly what I'm hoping to be able to do, have an easy recharge method set up... Have been doing things the clunky take far too long method and really would like to clean things up to a single cord to plug in and be done.  Thanks for the input on run time as well... Sounds like if your batteries are 100 amp hour that we will be right where I hope to have my system set up.  Thanks for the input... J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lithium Batteries / charger for Boat - by SkunkedAgain - 11-30-2023, 01:43 PM