Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Lithium Batteries / charger for Boat
(12-02-2023, 10:15 PM)brookie Wrote: Okay, here is the next battery/charging question - charging 2 12 volt batteries in series. I have always had a 12 volt trolling motor, but am looking at a 24 volt so the 24 volt system is new to me. I know that 2 12 volt batteries in series make 24 volts. So how do you charge the batteries? Will a 2 bank 12 volt charger, one bank for each battery work? With a 2 bank charger do you need to disconnect the two batteries from each other to charge or have an on/off switch between or can they stay wired together in 24V and just hook up 1 12V bank to each battery? Do Li ion batteries make a difference here?
So how do you charge the batteries?  Hook bank 1 to battery 1; bank 2 to battery 2

Will a 2 bank 12 volt charger, one bank for each battery work?  Yes, that is the way they are designed to work.

With a 2 bank charger do you need to disconnect the two batteries from each other to charge or have an on/off switch between or can they stay wired together in 24V and just hook up 1 12V bank to each battery?  They do not have to be disconnected or have an on/off switch.  Hook separate banks to each battery - bank 1 to battery 1; bank 2 to battery 2

Do Li ion batteries make a difference here?  None whatsoever other than the charger must be compatible with lithium batteries.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lithium Batteries / charger for Boat - by dubob - 12-03-2023, 02:28 PM