Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Lithium Batteries / charger for Boat
(12-03-2023, 02:09 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(12-02-2023, 10:15 PM)brookie Wrote: Okay, here is the next battery/charging question - charging 2 12 volt batteries in series. I have always had a 12 volt trolling motor, but am looking at a 24 volt so the 24 volt system is new to me. I know that 2 12 volt batteries in series make 24 volts. So how do you charge the batteries? Will a 2 bank 12 volt charger, one bank for each battery work? With a 2 bank charger do you need to disconnect the two batteries from each other to charge or have an on/off switch between or can they stay wired together in 24V and just hook up 1 12V bank to each battery? Do Li ion batteries make a difference here?

The short answer is yes, one bank for each battery and no you do not need to disconnect the two batteries because they are hooked up different on the 24 v system vs 2, 12 v hooked up in series. Can't help you on the  Li ion, I'm not ready to make that jump yet, until my old batteries go out.
Thanks Curt, was just a little afraid of putting 12V charger into a 24V system - wanted an outside opinion. (2 12V batteries hooded up in series is the 24V system)

(12-03-2023, 02:28 PM)dubob Wrote:
(12-02-2023, 10:15 PM)brookie Wrote: Okay, here is the next battery/charging question - charging 2 12 volt batteries in series. I have always had a 12 volt trolling motor, but am looking at a 24 volt so the 24 volt system is new to me. I know that 2 12 volt batteries in series make 24 volts. So how do you charge the batteries? Will a 2 bank 12 volt charger, one bank for each battery work? With a 2 bank charger do you need to disconnect the two batteries from each other to charge or have an on/off switch between or can they stay wired together in 24V and just hook up 1 12V bank to each battery? Do Li ion batteries make a difference here?
So how do you charge the batteries?  Hook bank 1 to battery 1; bank 2 to battery 2

Will a 2 bank 12 volt charger, one bank for each battery work?  Yes, that is the way they are designed to work.

With a 2 bank charger do you need to disconnect the two batteries from each other to charge or have an on/off switch between or can they stay wired together in 24V and just hook up 1 12V bank to each battery?  They do not have to be disconnected or have an on/off switch.  Hook separate banks to each battery - bank 1 to battery 1; bank 2 to battery 2

Do Li ion batteries make a difference here?  None whatsoever other than the charger must be compatible with lithium batteries.

Thanks Bob, that answers all my questions. You guys are great. When you need answers, just go to the experience on BFT

Messages In This Thread
RE: Lithium Batteries / charger for Boat - by brookie - 12-03-2023, 02:30 PM