Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anr Echo report and a ice baptism at Rockport
(01-27-2024, 08:20 PM)icerman Wrote: Sorry to learn of your "ice baptism".  I brought my spud bar out, other than the edges, and checking ice depth in previously drilled holes, I didn't need it. Falling in through the ice must have been a terrifying experience, especially if you were alone!  Where I was fishing, the good ice was about 2.5" with 2 " of bad ice.  I joined a group of people for safety reasons.  We all did pretty well on perch.  I did not dare go farther out but saw several guys venture more towards the middle, I did not join them!  I got wet coming off the ice!  This morning was colder.  The ice holes from previous were frozen.  I did not bring my spud bar, I kept to the same trail that I used yesterday.  Catching was good, not as hot as yesterday, but no complaints.  In 34 FOW.  Things really slowed down around 9:45 or so.  Left the ice at 10:25.  I brought my own plank this time, stayed dry!

I'd be interested in learning more about your flotation ice suit.  I generally just wear good ole wool!

I was wearing some floating ice bibs made by striker. There are several brands available to pick and choose from. When I went in, I only went in up to my chest. The bibs kept me from going completely under. I think I paid like between $250 and $300 for them. Well worth the money spent. I really wasn’t scared, I just remembered what to do from watching videos of others going through. 
Gabe

Messages In This Thread
RE: Anr Echo report and a ice baptism at Rockport - by Freakyfisherman - 01-28-2024, 03:57 PM