Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard S. Marina 9-5-24
Weather forecrash showed Thursday looking like the best day to hit Willard this week.  Supposed to be light easterly breezes until 10…and then calm.  Surprise.  They didn’t get it right.  Gusty from the NW and getting stronger until couldn’t fish from my tube after about 10:00.

Launched from the south marina about 7ish.  Air temp a pleasant 56…warming to a bit over 80 by 11 am ramp up.  Water temps about the same as last Tuesday…68 – 70.  Water levels down about 3’ from summer high.  Clarity not bad…but not crystal clear either.
 [Image: WILLARD-LAUNCH-9-5-24.jpg]

Last week I started shallow and moved to deeper water later to find fish.  This week I started deep…making S turns from 18 to 22 feet.  Saw few shad and few larger marks.  Saw nothing on my line.  Finally headed for the dike and started seeing fishy marks in 13 -14 feet of water off the rocks.  Put down some minnows on some of my new “tailless” fligs.  Some rigged with the hook inside.  Others wired with the hook articulated.  Both caught fish.  Love it when an experiment works out.  Also caught some on the tried and true silver and blue whirly flig with minnow.
 [Image: RIG.jpg]

Went bendo for the first time about 8:30.  Then again a few minutes later.  Had found some fish out a ways from the feed lot tower.  For the next hour and a half I caught about 10 cats.  A couple were only “footlongs”.  The rest were from about 19” to almost  24”.  Got a couple of light hits on the flig and Gulp combo that worked last week.  But they were only “one hit wonders”…hit once and don’t hang on…and you wonder what they were.
[Image: FOOTLONG.jpg]

By 10 am the “zephyrs” were increasing in strength and almost every time I hooked up my tube would turn and I would get tangled with the second rod.  Some serious downtime to get back in action.  But, on one occasion I was battling a fish on one rod when the other went bendo with a second.  Been there before and am usually able to work it out.  I did manage to bring both to net, but not without some fancy rod maneuvering.  Oh yeah, while I was doing battle the solitary water skier on the lake did a “splash-by” to entertain me.
 [Image: BUMPY-BENDO.jpg] [Image: BENDO-SKIER.jpg]

Gave up on the tough tube control situation…with the wind…and headed for the ramp.  JJAnnie (Jeff and Jill) were there to meet me.  We had gone out together but had gone different directions…using different techniques.  They too had come in early because of the difficulty in maintaining boat control in the breezes.  But they had caught a few fish.
 [Image: BASKET.jpg]

The bad news?  I managed to record some good video of this trip…including my epic battle with two of my biggest cats.  But when I review the segments at home I was gobsmacked.  Every segment that went over about 2 minutes had only the narrative…after the video part froze up.  So no pics of landing the fish and showing off what lures they took.  I was able to screen capture a few things for the report, but no video.  Sorry.  Got a return and refund request in to Ebay already for my new-to-me GoPro that is defective.  Bummer.

Messages In This Thread
Willard S. Marina 9-5-24 - by TubeDude - 09-05-2024, 10:54 PM
RE: Willard S. Marina 9-5-24 - by dubob - 09-05-2024, 11:23 PM
RE: Willard S. Marina 9-5-24 - by TubeDude - 09-06-2024, 02:32 AM
RE: Willard S. Marina 9-5-24 - by dubob - 09-06-2024, 03:28 PM
RE: Willard S. Marina 9-5-24 - by TubeDude - 09-06-2024, 03:40 PM
RE: Willard S. Marina 9-5-24 - by Piscophilic - 09-06-2024, 02:16 PM
RE: Willard S. Marina 9-5-24 - by TubeDude - 09-06-2024, 03:25 PM
RE: Willard S. Marina 9-5-24 - by jjannie - 09-06-2024, 03:43 PM
RE: Willard S. Marina 9-5-24 - by Freakyfisherman - 09-07-2024, 07:22 PM