Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Fishing Buddy
Bassy, I am glad you have a little companion with a lot of spirit to accompany you on your outings! Those terriers are 200lbs of big dog in a 10lb body. I bet it was hard not to laugh when the hose burst got him, and hopefully your evidence of the hose failure was enough to exonerate you in the court of mom!
Cowboy, nothing hits harder than seeing the willing spirit in your dog's eyes through their failing bodies. Except when the look turns in to the understanding that they can't do what they want to anymore. The light extinguishes a little. Seeing that is a hard pill to swallow.
I have carried around a quote in my wallet for 23 years now, next to my licenses (when they were printed out, remember those days??) and my blue card. The paper is torn and tattered, and not really legible anymore, but I have it memorized.
The quote is by Mike Gaddis, from "First Light," Sporting Classics Volume XX, Issue 3:
"I have often surmised, at Eve's indiscretion in Eden, that the Good Lord conceded the creature of His image inherently flawed, and granted to the canine kingdom instead the nobility that might have been human. And brought to pass that the dog would be man's best friend and shadow, that we might be eternally reminded. Perhaps it was resolved that such constancy, trust, and devotion could never be taken for granted, that it would come only with a terrible price."
Love your canine companions like they love you.
Thanks for sharing a cute story!

Messages In This Thread
My Fishing Buddy - by Bduck - 09-28-2024, 12:51 PM
RE: My Fishing Buddy - by Cowboypirate - 09-28-2024, 01:08 PM
RE: My Fishing Buddy - by Bduck - 09-29-2024, 12:32 PM
RE: My Fishing Buddy - by Cowboypirate - 09-29-2024, 01:10 PM
RE: My Fishing Buddy - by Bduck - 09-30-2024, 12:05 PM
RE: My Fishing Buddy - by joshomaru - 10-01-2024, 02:04 PM
RE: My Fishing Buddy - by Cowboypirate - 10-02-2024, 12:30 PM
RE: My Fishing Buddy - by Bduck - 10-09-2024, 12:43 PM