Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah AIS - You too can get involved
(10-02-2024, 01:08 PM)dubob Wrote:
(10-02-2024, 12:53 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: Good communication as always Dubob.
I have a couple of issues though that I don't quite agree with.
First, $20 fee per vessel.  Fine for those with one vessel, but myself...I have several.  I think one fee per person passing the test is enough.
Not all motorized vessels have a trailer.  Tube dude doesn't use a trailer...My inflatables have no trailer, and my canoes and kayaks go on the roof racks.
How would you feel about doing numbers 1 and 2, then, make #3 registering your motor vehicle associated with the vessels (up to 3 like the state parks pass allows) which would allow rangers in the parking lots to scan license plates, and ALL of the AIS information associated with that MV would be available to them.  Including vehicles like mine that launched, but because of no trailer there is no evidence of me launching unless I am near the vehicle.
This would make #4 paying the $20 and that would be it on our end.  Let the state code writers figure out the rest as how to make it work with their scanners and all.
You bring up valid points.  Please contact your representative with your views.

My view would be that for those individuals that don't need a trailer for their mororized vessel, then the second decal should be attached to the rear of the tow vehicle.  I would think this is less costly to the state (a second decal vs rewriting the DMV software to accommodate matching vehicles to watercraft).  I'm good with either scenario.

But of course, I like mine better.
  Big Grin
Again, I agree with many of your points.  It is the vessel however that is certified, not the vehicle that transports the vessel.  I am not sure how to work out when my wife or son (who have both completed the course) uses their car to transport an inflatable vessel instead of my truck. Which would have the second sticker because it tows the trailered boat.

Bottom line, the more of this we can solve for them and more direct we can be with our proposed solutions the better chance we have of getting support from the legislature.
Election is in 1 month, act now while they are listening.

Messages In This Thread
Utah AIS - You too can get involved - by dubob - 10-01-2024, 10:34 PM
RE: Utah AIS - You too can get involved - by Gone Forever - 10-02-2024, 04:35 PM