Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah AIS - You too can get involved
(10-02-2024, 04:35 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: [font="Open Sans", sans-serif]It is the vessel however that is certified, not the vehicle that transports the vessel.  I am not sure how to work out when my wife or son (who have both completed the course) uses their car to transport an inflatable vessel instead of my truck. Which would have the second sticker because it tows the trailered boat.[/font]
I actually called the agency that manages this program questioning the need for the printed receipt being placed on the dashboard.  The agencies answer was so the Park Rangers can verify the vessel brought in on the trailer was registered with the AIS program without actually having to go out on the water to check vessels for registration via decals.  You may have a utility trailer you use for a kayak or 3 and a float tube.  The receipt on the dash tells them that you registered a vessel and what that vessel is.  It doesn't tell them that the vessel on the water is the one associated with that receipt or how many vessels there are on the water.  Having a decal on the trailer/vehicle in the launch ramp parking lot does the same thing.  It says you registered one or more vessels (one or more decals) but doesn't tell them which registered vessel is on the water.

In the case that you described, your wife or son's car parked in a single parking stall at the ramp would not trigger a suspicion that the car was a tow vehicle of a non-towed water vessel by itself.  A trailer in a launch ramp parking area is a fairly good indication that a watercraft is out on the water somewhere, a car with no trailer, not so much.  A car with an empty rack on top could be taken either way, but I doubt the Ranger would lose any sleep fretting about it.

But again, if you believe your method is a better way to go, then by all means, pitch it to your state representatives (House and Senate).  Either change is better than what we currently have.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."

Messages In This Thread
Utah AIS - You too can get involved - by dubob - 10-01-2024, 10:34 PM
RE: Utah AIS - You too can get involved - by dubob - 10-02-2024, 05:54 PM