Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Color Test?
Ya know, Neal, I think you might be right as long as the lake had a primary forage base of bait fish. If the primary forage is crawdads, the guy with no brown, pumpkinseed, or dark green might be at a distinct diSadvantage.

Frankly, I've never figured out color. I know I have some "confidence colors" and "go-to-colors" and they vary depending on which lake I'm fishing. For example, I've fished smallmouth a lot at both Flaming Gorge and Lake Powell. Although both are extremely clear lakes, the colors I have done well with for the larger smallmouth are completely different. Not sure why. Just one of those great mysteries of life.

I was fishing a little lake up by Ft. Collins with a friend yesterday for largemouth. For a while the only thing I could take a fish on was a chartreuse Senko. Then they went to brown/green flek, then back to chartreuse. This was over a 6-7 hr. period and all within a 300 yard stretch of shoreline. I couldn't figure it out (except the last round when they were on chartreuse was right at dark - so maybe it was more visible).

Geez, maybe I should rummage through my basement and dig out that old Color Selector by Dr. Oren Hill. Remember that? Another of my very valuable "must-have" fishing acquisitions! LOL
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Color Test? - by NealCO - 05-28-2004, 02:21 PM
Re: [NealCO] Color Test? - by DonInDenver - 05-28-2004, 04:00 PM
Re: [DonInDenver] Color Test? - by NealCO - 05-28-2004, 08:15 PM