Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing
Hey Predator, you need to hook up with WalleyeBob. He lives in Spanish Fork and fishes both Deer Creek and Utah Lake year round. He loves ice fishing and usually comes off the ice with dinner.

He doesn't post a lot on this forum because his computer is slow and he has difficulties posting to this particular site. Might be a PEBKAC problem (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair), but we have had problems getting files of any size through his computer and his ISP (Hotmail).

Since he is registered, you might try sending a personal message and start making plans for a get together.

If you get serious, I will send you a sampler kit for some of the different baitbugs and roadrunners I use through the ice. Tip them with waxworms, a piece of crawler or a bit of fish meat. I have some scanned pics. I don't have them on a website though. Let me know where to send them and you guys can post them here. I can also provide instructions for making them.

I'm guessing that unless there is a serious elevation in water levels, the best ice fishing is going to be Pineview and Deer Creek. Utah Lake is so shallow that the fish will leave any area there is a lot of foot traffic or drilling. The harbors might still be a good winter bet. Who knows about Yuba?

If Willard freezes enough to support ice fishing, take your fishfinders along and start looking. Wipers are likely to be in the same areas they finished up in open water...or in deeper holes, down near the bottom. It will take a finesse presentation with a bait-enhanced jig to get them to open their mouths. Dead minnows jigged on a plain small jighead might be a good way to go. Might even put a couple of wandering walleyes on the ice. In years past, inside the South Marina was good for small walleyes for the first couple of weeks after iceup. But, that was when there was water in it.

All the ice fishing is going to be different this winter, because of the water levels. It will be like fishing new lakes, since you have to search out the new holding areas and figure out what the fish will hit under the current condtitions.

Dang it, I wish I was up there to do some drillin and dippin with you guys. I guess I'll have to be content kicking my float tube around in light waders and short sleeves. Those girls in the bikinis look at me real strange when I carry my ice auger across my tube. But, it helps keep the PWC away when I start waving it at them.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Ice Fishing - by RainbowSparkle - 10-30-2002, 08:38 PM
Re: [RainbowSparkle] Ice Fishing - by PREDATOR - 10-30-2002, 10:32 PM
Re: [PREDATOR] Ice Fishing - by TubeDude - 10-30-2002, 11:33 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Ice Fishing - by RainbowSparkle - 10-31-2002, 01:26 AM
Re: [RainbowSparkle] Ice Fishing - by Teroy - 10-31-2002, 03:06 AM
Re: [Teroy] Ice Fishing - by Hellsangler69 - 10-31-2002, 04:20 AM
Re: [RainbowSparkle] Ice Fishing - by fishnate - 10-31-2002, 04:02 AM
Re: [fishnate] Ice Fishing - by PREDATOR - 10-31-2002, 11:36 PM
Re: [PREDATOR] Ice Fishing - by fishnate - 11-05-2002, 04:02 AM