Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua Report
Took the toon to Mantua last night. Got on the water a little after 4:00 and started busting 5" perch as soon as the first jig hit the water. Played around in the shallows on the south end for a while until I had enough perch to replenish my kitty bait supply and hadn't picked up a single gill yet. Moved out a couple of hundred yards off shore and finally found a sharp drop off to some deeper water. Had to switch to a drop shot rig to fish the gill which were holding in 18' of water. Catching was pretty consistent, but had to be careful with the depth; too deep and it was nothing but moss, too shallow and all the fish were the size of a silver dollar. Had to be within a foot or two of the bottom to pick up the bigger ones. No fish that I would call a slab, larger ones were in the 7-8" catagory. Do the gills run any bigger that that in Mantua?
I was off the water by 8:30, water temp was 73*, and the fish didn't really seem to care about color. I was tipping with a little perch meat. Kept a dozen or so gills, just enough to fry up a little fish nugget appetizer. A little more W than I like, but not too much to handle.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Mantua Report - by fairwayphilly - 08-16-2005, 06:38 PM
Re: [fairwayphilly] Mantua Report - by PDS - 08-16-2005, 08:11 PM