Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Electric Motor on Pontoon, Questions
[black][size 3]I don't know what kind of toon you have or what you plan as far as customizing it might be, but there are a couple of ways to accomplish trolling with your motorized toon.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3] [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]First, my pontoon is very customized. I have rod holders on my toon that I use while trolling. My seat swivels and I just steer the motor with my left hand and watch my rod(s) in the rod holders for hits - just like I do with my aluminum boat. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]If there is no wind, I can tighten down the neck screw on the motor so that it won't turn off course, but that is only if I have a specific direction to travel that does not entail any turns(that is rare, because I almost always like to turn while I troll). [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]I also have one setup where I mount my motor on the front of my toon(my customization is very versatile). For ease of steering, this entails that I loosen the control head of the trolling motor and rotate it so that the handle is positioned in the opposite direction. [/size][/black]
[black][size 3]Tracking in a straight line and maneuvering is easier when the motor is mounted on the front, as well as handling in windy conditions, but, when I do that, my fishing suffers a little bit because the motor is right where I like to play the fish. Front motor mounting can also be a hindrance if I am using fins.[/size][/black]
[black][size 3]One option I designed and tested that worked great with the rear transom mounted motor, was a foot operated rope and pulley system so I could steer with my feet(with or without fins), that left my hands free for casting and catching fish. But, I shelved that idea after I took the swivel seat mount from my aluminum boat and mounted it on my pontoon. Now I can operate my pontoon just like I can my boat. Not knowing what kind of watercraft you have, I don't know if the feet steering system would be adaptable to your pontoon though. [/size][/black]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [Hunt4BigBucks] Electric Motor on Pontoon, Questions - by Fishhound - 05-01-2006, 01:51 AM