Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uintas vs. Wind River Range
Dragon,

I've spend many hours and many miles in the backcountry of both the Winds and the Uintas. What I have learned about the different ranges and the respective fishing is this:

Uintas [ol] [li]Fewer people[/li] [li]Easy hiking[/li] [li]Nearly impossible to get lost[/li] [li]Many smaller fish that are easy to catch (renegades, mosquitoes, adams, hares' ears very productive in the Uintas)[/li] [li]Fewer varieties of fish[/li] [li]Fewer lakes[/li] [li]Proximity makes them good for short weekend trips[/li][/ol]

Winds [ol] [li]Lots of people[/li] [li]Strenuous hiking[/li] [li]Very easy to get lost...I speak from experience[/li] [li]Fewer fish but average size is larger than that of the Uintas[/li] [li]Relatively warm water because the water travels for miles on sunwarmed granite slabs. Daily swim is refreshing[/li] [li]Fish in the Winds are educated. What works in the Uintas doesn't work as well in the Winds (tube jigs, spoons, hoppers, streamers, rapalas are Wind river lures)[/li][/ol]
If travel time were not an issue I would spend more time in the Winds than in the Uintas. My recommendation to you would be to go to the Winds. You won't regret it.

the scienceangler
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Uintas vs. Wind River Range - by Cdragon - 06-13-2006, 07:40 PM
Re: [Cdragon] Uintas vs. Wind River Range - by scienceangler - 06-15-2006, 06:15 AM