Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silver Lake
Mrs. New_fish, I really enjoy reading your reports. I hope you stick with your new-found hobby and master some tactics that produce fish, and that you remain a frequent contributor to this site. It's always nice to hear reports, successful and unsuccessful, from fisherpeople who have various skill levels.

Before I read TubeDude's reply to your post, I was going to suggest the half-filled clear plastic bobber followed by a long leader (4-5') and a tiny dark fly for high-mountain trout, as he did. I would further suggest that you purchase some floatant for the flies you purchase. Floatant comes in little plastic squeeze bottles and is about the consistency of honey, and fly fishermen use it to dress dry flies so that the flies will float on the water.

I'm going to include a VERY BASIC list below of some things to consider when you're planning on targeting certain types of fish. It may or may not help you, but it helps me to categorize some of my offerings when I drive to a destination that features certain types of fish.

Here's my list: [ul] [li]For trout: Flies (wet or dry) that may be trailed behind a clear plastic bubble, half-filled with water so that it will float, but also so that it will be heavy enough for you to cast out into a small lake. Reel the bubble very slowly, so as not to produce a wake behind the bubble, and watch for strikes on the fly. If you're using a wet fly (like a woolly bugger) watch for your line to go taught or watch for the bubble to sink. Also, various types of silver, gold, white, and chartreuse colored spinners. For types of brands, I like Blue Fox (they make a silver No. 1 and No. 2 spinner in all silver with some pink on the sides to make it look like a small rainbow and an all gold spinner with orange spots that resemble a small brown trout that are very effective), Mepps, Rooster Tails, and never forget the ever-popular Jakes Spin-a-Lure. Also, floating Rapalas that look like little minnows can be very productive tossed and retreived on lakes or streams. Vertical jigging with tube jigs can produce fast fishing if you can get yourself a boat and a sonar and vertical jig over a school of fish. And finally, if all else fails there's always the go-to baits such as worms, minnows, and PowerPutty (PowerBait) that often work, but I believe it's not very fun to still fish when one can move around and be more active, but do what you must to catch fish, if that's your main goal.[/li] [li]For panfish (i.e., perch, bluegill, crappie, white bass): small jigs tipped with worms or fish flesh (check regulations for the types of fish flesh that may be used) usually work very effectively. The amount of leader one uses below the bobber can vary due to how deep the fish are holding, so experiment until you get bit. Also, small spinners can be very productive on the above-mentioned panfish. Never cease to experiment with speeds of retrieval and depth in the water column when fishing, as being successful with catching fish may be a matter of discovering what the fish want on one day versus what they wanted the day before.[/li] [li]For bass: soft big plastics like Senkos, curly tail grubs, plastic worms, plastic lizards, plastic crawdads, etc. One could write a book (or fill thick magazines month after month) on the types of soft plastics one may use for largemouth and smallmouth. Also, these soft plastics may be fished in a variety of ways and presentations, including wacky-rigged, Texas-rigged, drop-shot, etc. Searches on the Internet using the above-mentioned words may help you to educate yourself on how these presentations may be used. If you're going to a lake that holds either large- or smallmouth and wish to target them, probably a stop at Sportsman's or Cabela's and requesting a question and answer session with someone who knows what works on a nearby water might be the best idea. Also, hard plastic crankbaits with spoonbill plastic lips that cause the hard plastics to dive and swim like minnows and crawfish are very effective.[/li] [li]For walleye: well, they're a mystery. I wish I knew how to consistently catch them with reckless abandon, but those beautiful toothy creatures elude me on most outings. Soft plastic curly tail jigs tipped with worms or fish flesh (again, check regulations) can be effective at times, but again experiement, experiment, experiment with different speeds of retrieval and picture where your jigs are swimming in the water column and try different depths to find these elusive fish. If you're succesful with these guys, they're wonderful on the dinner table and beautiful to look at, but watch out for the great white shark-like teeth! Also, soaking a minnow or worm either weightless or below a weight and swivel in walleye waters will work if you're patient.[/li] [li]For catfish: these dang things will eat just about anything. Seriously. Soak a big worm or minnow or shrimp or fish flesh either weightless, with weight, or under a bobber in waters holding catfish, and hold on. (If you and your husband ever want to drive down to Utah County, I can take you to a local pond in my boat, and you will catch some kitty fish. I promise.)[/li][/ul]

Each of the above-mentioned fish species like to hang out at different parts of a lake at different times of the day. Continue to read posts on BFT and glean what information you can as to when anglers caught certain types of fish, during which times of the day, using what lure or bait, and keep notes if you have to. Also, in your free times, perform searches on the Internet to learn about the feeding habits and likely hangouts of certain types of fish, and you'll find that you'll begin to be more successful in no time.

I hope what I wrote above helps you some. For me, part of the enjoyment of fishing comes from learning about the ecology of the water I choose to fish. For instance, I think it's cool to learn about the insects that trout nibble on, so that I can become a better fly fisherman. I like to think that the big plastic worm I'm using for largemouth imitates the black leech I just discovered under a big rock on the water I'm fishing. And knowing that a particular water holds a big population of perch will certainly help me to land a smallmouth if I use a perch-imitating crankbait or soft plastic.

Again, there are lots of things to learn and consider, and all of us on this site, regardless of our skill level, are in the same boat, so to speak, when it comes to improving our fishing knowledge.

I hope these thoughts of mine help you.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Silver Lake - by new_fish - 08-18-2006, 03:46 AM
Re: [new_fish] Silver Lake - by TubeDude - 08-18-2006, 12:48 PM
Re: [new_fish] Silver Lake - by Flycasting - 08-18-2006, 12:49 PM
Re: [new_fish] Silver Lake - by PrinceFisher - 08-18-2006, 02:38 PM
Re: [PrinceFisher] Silver Lake - by Flycasting - 08-18-2006, 02:55 PM
Re: [Flycasting] Silver Lake - by PrinceFisher - 08-18-2006, 03:08 PM
Re: [PrinceFisher] Silver Lake - by trollboy8 - 08-18-2006, 03:54 PM
Re: [trollboy8] Silver Lake - by PrinceFisher - 08-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Re: [PrinceFisher] Silver Lake - by Flycasting - 08-18-2006, 07:29 PM