Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fat Cat Vs SFC . which one?
[cool][#0000ff]Glad you were able to arrive at a decision. Sounds like you went for quality and size. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Let us know if you need any input on getting it properly pimped out.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I first started looking at the Fat Cat line in about Y2k (2000). Not sure what they had before then. I saw them on the water in a couple of spots I fished in Arizona and looked them over pretty good. I did not pay much attention to the seat variations, but liked the overall design and the big pockets. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I got tired of muscling around my Kennebec in March of 2003 and bought my SFC. I immediately decided that I did not like the low back seat or the wimpy design that didn't provide much support. I also rebelled at the "postage stamp" mesh apron. I have made a grundle of experiments and modifications since, to try to get them right. Still working on them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I initially enjoyed the inflated seats. You could adjust them to get just the degree of comfort you wanted. Then, after about a year, my bottom seat deflated during a fishing trip. I found myself sitting low in the water and the two sides of the tube closing in on me. Not good. I removed the inflatable seat, found a leak on one of the seams on the top of the seat, repaired it and put it back in. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]From that point on, I never knew whether I was going to have a "well-seated" fishing trip or not. I had to remove and repair that sucker after about every other trip. One by one, all of the ends of the seams on the corrugated seat developed pinhole leaks. They would not hold air through a morning of fishing. Even with Aquaseal on them, some of the repairs worked loose over time so that I have had to re-repair some of those holes several times. Right now, there is not a single seam end that has not leaked.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have tried every kind of "jury-rigged" seat you can imagine...including substituting foam, adding contour plastic chairs, etc. Many things work but either leave me sitting too high or too far forward...or are too restrictive.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am looking for a new ride too. I will probably get a new Fat Cat, but will do so knowing that there will be "refinements" necessary. I can deal with the backrest and the apron if I have a good firm seat. If I find it too firm, I can always slip a foam cushion between the tube cover and the foam seat. Actually, I have plenty of "padding" already and have fished from TubeBabe's foam seat Fat Cat, so I know I can live with that part.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Before I make a decision, I plan to do some more personal research. I will post up anything new and wonderful I stumble upon. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Hey Goddess Lady, where is the closest place I could go to look at some of the Venture goodies?[/#0000ff]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Fat Cat Vs SFC . which one? - by WeeHooker - 09-05-2006, 06:24 PM
Re: [WeeHooker] Fat Cat Vs SFC . which one? - by TubeDude - 09-06-2006, 05:05 PM