Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deep Water Fishing
[blue][size 2]I've read a lot about fizzing fish (puncturing the air bladder with a hypodermic needle), but I've NEVER read a fisheries biologist recommend it. Many studies indicate a delayed mortality--they die on the bottom rather than floating to the surface where you can see them. The only difference I can see is to the ignorant angler who feels better about not being able to see the fish he's killing and wasting because they're not floating on the surface.[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]Here's how to fizz. Go to the anal hole and count five scales forward and three scales left or right of the anal hole and put the needle in at a 45 degree angle. Submerge the fish so you can see the air bubbles disappear.[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]The problem is that if the air bladder is already protruding from the fish's mouth, the fish has already suffered internal damage and will likely die. If you fizz the fish properly, it can get an infection, or you might puncture vital organs. I've also heard of people putting snap-weights on the fish's fins to keep them submerged and right side down in the livewell. But one foot of water in the livewell isn't enough pressure to help much.[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]I've also heard of people getting a large hook, removing the barb, attaching a heavy weight to the hook's eye and tying the fishing line to the bend. Then lightly poke the fish in the hose or bottom lip and let the weight take it to the bottom, then a quick yank up releases the fish at the bottom of the lake.[/size][/blue]

[blue][size 2]Personally, I think any angler worth any kind of ethics will stop fishing deeper than 30' once he's caught his limit.[/size][/blue]

Messages In This Thread
Deep Water Fishing - by MackAttack - 02-19-2003, 12:22 AM
Re: [kentofnsl] Deep Water Fishing - by kentofnsl - 02-19-2003, 07:21 PM
Re: [MackAttack] Deep Water Fishing - by TubeDude - 02-19-2003, 04:44 PM
Re: [MackAttack] Deep Water Fishing - by DennisW - 02-19-2003, 05:38 PM
Re: [DennisW] Deep Water Fishing - by TubeDude - 02-19-2003, 07:11 PM