Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ADD-ONS AND UPGRADES
[cool]Let me see if I can 'splain it to ya. Ya sposed to fish shallower than the rocks is. Hooks and rocks go together real good, but they don't wanna let go of each other, so ya gotta keep 'em apart.

Now, let's go back to that reference to using "Dupont Spinners"...dynamite. That's the best stuff for getting jigs loose outta the rocks. Utah DWR kinda frowns on it though. It's hard to convince 'em you were just tryin' to get your jigs loose when all them danged fish start floatin' up and lookin' dead. It's also embarrassin' when KSL TV crews show up lookin' fer the terrorists that have been bombing our fishermen.

I think I mentioned that I also make up a lot of light head jigs with the mono weed guards. I also think I may have sent a few. It takes a program of light heads, weedguards, slow steady retrieves and controlled "hooksets". You have to keep your wrist cocked, ready to pop, but resist the urge to cross their eyes until you verify that is a fish on your line, rather than a sneaky rock or stick just acting like a fish. The weed guards will help you bounce off the majority of rocks, unless you jerk on them every time they touch something. If you really concentrate, and develop your "touch", you get better at discerning the difference between animal (fish) or mineral (rock). The former often has a "rubber band" feel, or actually pulls back when you tighten up. The latter is just a solid, unmoving resistance.

Don't fret, Grasshopper. Even the masters bury the hooks in fish that turn out to be rocks...and fail to set the hooks on "rocks" that spit the jig because they don't want to play tug of war with you anymore.

You asked about a lure retriever. In the shallow waters around Lincoln Beach, that ain't a bad idea. You can make a good one by finding an extendable aluminum or glass rod, with a ring on the end, with just enough of a gap to fit over your line. Get over the jig and run the tip down your line and wiggle and jiggle until it comes loose. If the jig has wedged between a couple of immovable rocks, you will have to consider them as sacrificial offerings to the Gods of Lincoln Beach. I assure you that I must be highly favored by those gods, after all of the sacrifices I have made unto them.

PS...How did Bob's boat do? And, did you catch anything at all?
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
ADD-ONS AND UPGRADES - by TubeDude - 03-23-2003, 11:47 AM
Re: [TubeDude] ADD-ONS AND UPGRADES - by tomegun - 03-23-2003, 04:30 PM
Re: [tomegun] ADD-ONS AND UPGRADES - by TubeDude - 03-23-2003, 08:05 PM
Re: [TubeDude] ADD-ONS AND UPGRADES - by tomegun - 03-23-2003, 11:45 PM
Re: [tomegun] ADD-ONS AND UPGRADES - by TubeDude - 03-24-2003, 12:47 AM
Re: [TubeDude] ADD-ONS AND UPGRADES - by tomegun - 03-24-2003, 02:13 AM
Re: [TubeDude] ADD-ONS AND UPGRADES - by JapanRon - 03-24-2003, 05:58 AM
Re: [JapanRon] ADD-ONS AND UPGRADES - by TubeDude - 03-24-2003, 11:10 AM
Re: [TubeDude] ADD-ONS AND UPGRADES - by JapanRon - 03-23-2003, 04:55 PM