Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can't you use live minnows in UT?
[cool][#0000ff]There are quite a few of us Utah BFTers who have lived and fished in many other places around the country...and who just shake our heads in wonder when we read the Utah proclamation. What it boils down to in many instances is "THERE AIN'T NO GOOD REASON FER IT. IT'S JUST POLICY."[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have lived and fished in Utah off and on since the early 1960's. I witnessed the first big poisoning of Strawberry in 1963 (as I reckymember). There was just about every species of trout and non-trout you could imagine, floating on the lake. It was ugly.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I suspect that the resurgence of the chubs in Strawberry was probably as much a matter of incomplete poisoning as bucket bozos reintroducing them. There is no way to effectively follow up every trickle and tributary and hunt down every last chub and shiner. Over time they exploded again and rainbows could not and would not keep up with them. And until the massive plants of Bear Lake cutts and the aggressive slot restrictions, the shiners and chubs were on the way to taking over the lake again. Not now.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It was no secret that some Utah "sportsmen" were fishing with live chubs, even when it was illegal. Always a few who try to see what they can get away with. But, I still think that a high percentage of the chub infestations in Utah are more a matter of the chubs already being in the water and just plain outcompeting hatchery pet rainbows.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Golden shiners, in Newcastle, is another story. I understand they are also found in a couple of other lakes easily reached by anglers from Sin City (Vegas). [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]There are valid ecological reasons why DWR is violently against the transport and use of live minnows. First, is the potential of introducing an overly competitive and destructive new species to a fragile fishery. Secondly, with the ongoing battle against whirling disease and some of the other potential microbial nasties we might face, it is just plain not good biology to transport anything...live, dead or inert...from one water to another without proper testing and certification.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Of course a lot of DWR detractors would have you believe that DWR simply does not want us to use bait that would be too effective. Balderdash. They spend a ton to recruit anglers and to stock waters to provide good fishing for the masses. Attend meetings with dedicated DWR folks and the ongoing theme is "What can we do to make for a better angling experience in Utah?".[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]But, that still doesn't set well with anglers who have lived in states where there is abundant live bait and you can use it anywhere, anytime for any species. Using live minnows can really help you catch more fish in many cases. But, again, we have some pretty darned good fishing in Utah, and some of the best fly fishing in the country. Artificials work just fine if you take the time to learn how to use them. And, there is always the garden hackle...or plenty of bugs in season.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]HOWSOMEVER....I have still never received a satisfactory answer on why anglers cannot use corn in Utah...even for the lowly carp. You wouldn't believe some of the wild stories. 1. Fish can't digest corn and it kills them. 2. It is used for chumming and it poisons the bottom of the lake when it stacks up 4 feet deep. 3. It attracts corn-eating aliens from outer space. (Okay, I made up the last one)[/#0000ff]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [TrophyTaker] Why can't you use live minnows in UT? - by TubeDude - 12-12-2007, 01:30 AM