Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Wipers on ice?
Willard is one place I have never taken more than an hour for a few hundred casts with 5 or 6 largemouth. Granted I don't have a boat so Willard isn't a good bet for me unless fish are within casting distance of the shoreline. I'm not sure if this tip will be effective but I grew up in Oklahoma and spent years chasing everything that swims for 2 or 3 days a week and here is something that might get attention through the ice at willard. We used to fish over lake channels in mid-winter with 2-3" plastic spoons we painted up to look like a shad and then tipped them with a piece of shad and weighted with a 1/32 oz split shot just above the spoon. The plastic flutters down slowly just like a winter killed shad and this may be a real trigger for wipers because it definitely bagged some hawg white bass for us in Dec. and Jan. on lake Keystone near Tulsa. Just keep the line tight as you lower your rod and set the hook the second you feel a strike. We got an occasional monster crappie on some trips along with some nice walleye and saugeye at times. If you can find the wipers at Willard I would think that this should work.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Willard Wipers on ice? - by keystonecop - 02-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Re: [TubeDude] Willard Wipers on ice? - by fishguru73 - 02-07-2008, 06:55 AM