Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Falls Below Dam Fishing
Many people with boats fishing below the dam will often tie there boat off along the shoreline to fish. There are some who anchor in the middle off the river a couple hundred yards downstream of the dam. From the shoreline I can cast with my sturgeon rod just about anywhere I wanted to fish. A boat would help with fighting a fish though. If I wanted to fish for sturgeon below the dam in late May I would avoided Memorial Day weekend and try fishing a weekday and also look into fishing at night. I live in Pocatello and when I want to fish for sturgeon I drive past American Falls to fish the Snake in SW Idaho.

After the fishing season opens on Memorial Day weekend it will be very crowded below the dam. I believe there are 300+ anglers fishing below the dam on the opener every year. This leaves little room for guys with sturgeon rods. Finding room to cast will be difficult and when fighting a sturgeon it would be even worse. Trout anglers would not all be happy about moving their lines so a sturgeon angler can fight a fish.

The water below the dam is never muddy from run off in the spring. However, it does get muddy in September and/or October if the reservoir is very low. Here is a link to a graph that shows that shows the river level below the dam.
[url "http://www.usbr.gov/pn-bin/graphwy.pl?amfi_q"]http://www.usbr.gov/...in/graphwy.pl?amfi_q[/url]
The amount of water coming out of American Falls Dam is mostly affected by irrigation demands. Irrigation demands are always high in late May and early June.

There is a good current below the dam. The uneven rocky bottom makes getting an anchor stuck a possibility. If you have experience anchoring in strong currents and know your limits you shouldn't have any problem.

Good luck.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
American Falls Below Dam Fishing - by Lundman - 03-25-2008, 05:25 PM
Re: [Lundman] American Falls Below Dam Fishing - by BrianID - 03-26-2008, 06:16 PM