Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oregon Coast ?
Bottom fishing, or rock fishing, is excellent. We've averaged 2 legal Ling Cod per trip, along with the 6 rockies per angler. Most have been either Blacks or Blues. A lot of Vermillions, China, Quillies and Coppers in the mix, too, though. And of course the occasional Mother In Law fish(Cabazon). Mostly just 4 OZ twist tail jigs, although mooching herring on bottom will put you into a lot of Ling and the occassional inshore Halibut. Bigger jigs, bigger fish. Try not to jig too much, as is the standard with most people. Keep your rod tip pointed towards the water, still in your hands, with the jig within 2' of bottom. The waves create enough motion. It'll set you into a lot of Ling, too.

You're hitting the wrong part of the coast unfortunately, though. The reefs out of Newport/Walport have been over fished by the charter fleets and commercial fisheries for quite a while. I'm farther south outta Bandon. Much less fished. The best charter bar none out of Depoe/Newport/Waldport is the Newport Charter company. Used to be located around the Embarcadero Resort, to the east of the Old Bay Front. Most of the rest will take you out, get your smaller blacks, and right back in. All within an hour. Not too enjoyable for the $60 you gotta shell out.

Yaquina Head, by the light house, can be killer for Blacks and Lings. I tend to prefer either sand shrimp, squid, or octopus for bait. Pretty standard riging. I like a minimum of 2 oz. leads for the surf and shore fishing. The jettys should produce, although they tend to be slower, and a lot more hit and miss. Fish the incoming tides. Also, depending on where your staying in Newport, the Embarcadero marina and private crabbing dock offers wonderful fishing for all the bottom fish. I've caught legal Ling, Cabbies, Kelpies, and more blacks, blues, and coppers than you could shake a rod at. Tremendous fun for sure.

So far as rivers, I'd recomend the Six's outta them all. Can't go wrong with the Nestuca and Three Rivers farther north by Pacific City are decent fishing, too. Just be sure and check all the regs before you go out.

I'm down here for the year helping out with my friends boat. As you get closer, if you'd like, I'd be happy to give you more information.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Oregon Coast ? - by armada - 07-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Re: [armada] Oregon Coast ? - by line_dangler - 07-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Re: [armada] Oregon Coast ? - by bassrods - 07-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Re: [armada] Oregon Coast ? - by Mc_Lennon - 07-03-2008, 04:12 AM
Re: [armada] Oregon Coast ? - by Wood_Shampoo - 07-03-2008, 02:58 PM