Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RED CREEK RESERVOIR - PARAGONAH - Sunday May 18th (report)
[cool]A splitshot or sliding sinker will work well with a fly...if you are reeling fast enough (or trolling) to keep it from snagging on the bottom. The advantage of using a bubble full of water is that it has only slightly higher density than water, and sinks slowly.

In some lakes, the morning surface feeders go deeper during the brighter and warmer hours and you need to sink your flies (or bait deeper). The bubble and bait combo works great to reach out to flats where the fish feed later in the day...near the bottom. Of course, in a float tube, you just go out and bottom bounce or vertical jig them.

I do not believe you are prohibited from using "tandem" (two flies or lures) rigs on the same rod (check the proclamation). The lure and fly combo is a great way to snooker finicky or competive fish. When the fly is rigged above a lure, they seem to think it is a bug or small minnow trying to get away from another fish. When you trail a fly behind a larger lure, other fish whack it if they think it has gotten away from the larger offering. At least that is the fishy psychology as I have it figured out. All I know is that it works sometimes to get fish where others fishing a single offering are not doing well. You can even catch doubles on occasion.

To fish tandems and droppers, you can either use blood knot droppers, or small swivels. I will be diagramming those for a separate thread sometime in the next day or two.

TubeDude
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [lou] RED CREEK RESERVOIR - PARAGONAH - Sunday May 18th (report) - by TubeDude - 05-20-2003, 05:13 PM