Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake cats...Report
[cool]My guess is that the cats are trying to spawn in the rocks. Normally these would be in deeper water, but in low water years there are no good rocks or structure offshore...except for areas like Bird Island, Pelican Point or around Lincoln Beach. In the harbors, the spawn-ready fish are desperate and are making themselves vulnerable by spawning in the only rocks they can find...right in the shallows.

I hate to suggest it, but I have known excited fishermen to snag fish that were easily "force fed" when oblivious to anglers. I'm sorry if I unjustly accuse the person with the fish, but when those cats are in a romantic mood, they usually don't dine much. It is much more common to shove a lure or hook down their mouths...or in their sides...when they won't eat what you are serving. That doesn't mean they won't occasionally slurp a juicy bait stuck in front of their noses, but it is less likely.

Once the spawning is over, the fish go back out into deeper water...except for some of the males guarding nests. Then they go back on the feed and all of the traditional baits will work well.

Utah Lake has long been a body of water that encourages "subsistence" fishing...by individuals or groups more concerned with harvesting spawning fish for food than simply enjoying the sport and leaving some fish for others. Walleyes used to be slaughtered by the thousands, all around the lake, by "pike snaggers" during the spawn. There are still many, each year, that go home with treble hook marks on their bodies. Largemouths and channel cats can also be subject to illegal fishing methods, if they make themselves visible within range of meat-hungry non-sportsmen.

Sorry about the soapbox. I hope you find some with open mouths and open minds, and that you are able to coax a few bigguns to accept your hospitality. I also hope that if you witness unlawful harvesting that you properly report it. Otherwise, enjoy the spectacle of some of the lakes larger denizens showing off for you. Just don't take unfair advantage of them, in one of their most tender moments.

TubeDude
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Utah Lake cats...Report - by hustler898 - 06-19-2003, 03:11 AM
Re: [hustler898] Utah Lake cats...Report - by TubeDude - 06-19-2003, 04:40 PM