Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help on using a downrigger
4Luv, I attach my pop gear to the back eye on the downrigger ball. I like the Mack's Flashlight flashers as they have less drag than most. I use stacker releases about 18" to 2 feet above the ball. The flashlight flashers would just churn silt if you dragged the bottom. They cost a lot less than a ball, that's for sure.

I use Offshore Tackle or Scotty releases. I have a couple of smaller yellow offshore releases similar to Sep's releases, but they only really work well if it is really calm and there isn't any crap in the water.

Flashers (Pop gear, lake trolls, ford fenders, beer cans etc.) usually are run inline with your wedding ring or whatever behind it. It creates a ton of drag. Hooking them to the ball and running the terminal tackle separatly removes the drag, and allows you to land more kokes. I have found 18" to 2 feet is enough separation that even when there are big waves the two don't tangle often.

By the way, I have never seen kokes hold tight to the bottom like that. Usually they suspend in open water. That creates some interesting problems...
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [4_luv_of_fishin] Gorge kokes in a crowd - by Mojo1 - 06-30-2009, 01:53 AM