Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WADERS...A NECESSARY EVIL
[cool]That is one way of finding a hole. I have used it successfully, especially when I had a good idea where the leak was and didn't want to fill the waders with water. However, there are some elusive little buggers that defy the flashlight trick and you still have to use the water.

It's like trying to find a pinhole leak in a float tube, after a pesky bluegill or perch has let go of the hook and bounced off your craft...with spines erected. Even when you know where to looks, the leak can be so slow that it is tough to find. Holding a fully inflated tube under water is like trying to stuff hot butter up a tiger's behind, with a pair of knitting needles. You can only do it one small portion at a time. And if you have a small tub and no swimming pool (or cooperative neighbor with a pool), it really becomes a circus.

When faced with a tough leak to find in an air chamber, I mix up some soapy water and air the tube or bladder up to the max. Then I either wipe the soapy water on with my hand or spray it from a fine mist sprayer. If you have a good soapy solution, the slightest air leak will blow a bubble...or a stream of bubbles. Mark the spot with a waterproof marker and patch it when it's deflated and dry. (This also works for finding holes in the kids' vinyl pools and air mattresses.)

That latter system works best outdoors in bright sunlight. That also makes the spouse a lot easier to live with than a waterlogged bathroom and torn down shower curtains.

TubeDude
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
WADERS...A NECESSARY EVIL - by TubeDude - 06-24-2003, 11:36 AM
Re: [Hose] WADERS...A NECESSARY EVIL - by TubeDude - 06-25-2003, 10:45 AM