Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State Record Tiger
I assume your reply is directed toward me even though you replied to FG but if not I'll reply anyways...

Two factors predominate when considering the causes of angled fish mortality:

The hooking location, and the degree of physiological stress suffered by the fish. An analysis of corresponding data indicates that catch and release efficacy and mortality are strongly affected by the techniques Do not handle fish by placing your fingers in the gill slits. Fish gill filaments are very sensitive and can easily be injured.
Combined with The slime coat on most fish is very fragile. Clear breaks or scrapes of the slime coat are usually fatal. This coating protects the fish like our skin does us, from infection and decay. In aquariums, fresh water fish get what is called “Ick”. This forms as tiny white tendrils that progressively form a ball of fungus. As this fungus invades the fishes body, the wound invites attacks from other fishes.

StudySpecies
Study
Variable
Raw Data
TypeNon-
Optimal
Type% Mort.
Optimized
Type% Mort.Mortality
Reduction
Factor12TroutPlaying Release StressLong90%+ HigherShortHigherNegitive

There have been multiple studies on C& R There also has been multiple articles on how to properly C&R fish I'll bet you none of them state sticking your fingers in there gills no matter how carefully you think you were is not a good idea. If you really think you were carefull then lets stick some fingers next to your lungs trust me I'll be carefull [Wink]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
State Record Tiger - by sykes87 - 10-30-2009, 11:38 PM
Re: [sykes87] State Record Tiger - by kochanut - 10-31-2009, 12:59 AM
Re: [sykes87] Scofield Tiger - by TubeDude - 11-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Re: [sykes87] Scofield Tiger - by ParrMark - 11-01-2009, 06:44 PM
Re: [sykes87] State Record Tiger - by bassrods - 11-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Re: [Jacksonman] Scofield tiger - by FishMogul - 11-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Re: [Jacksonman] State Record Tiger - by sinergy - 11-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Re: [sykes87] State Record Tiger - by sinergy - 11-03-2009, 05:08 AM