Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing on Catalina...
Kid: A tandom set-up is 2 hooks above a sinker as they are used in the surf. It sounds like your outfit might be OK for strength but a little short for casting from the beach. When we fish the sea bass up close there is usually a ripping current which causes the water to turn that green color. We always start flyline and add white leadheads as needed to keep the bait down. I think it's really important that the squid bait drifts along to a point where you have to reel in and cast again. All my sea bass rods are 9 feet long and all fishing is done from a boat so I really can't give good advice about fishing from the beach. Just remember though, the great big old bass are most always caught in that shallow beach area with a ripping current. But to catch all the other stuff get a surf hook set up and cast bits of squid and you will murder the bass and croaker. One of my lifelong pursuits is to get up in those Catalina beaches with a float tube and hook a 50 pounder and ride him out instead of getting spooled as so often happens.In conclusion try to fit your tactics to what the bass want. They want bait drifting naturaly in the current so try to somehow copy the situation.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Fishing on Catalina... - by SturgeonKid - 07-16-2003, 05:23 AM
Re: [SturgeonKid] Fishing on Catalina... - by gvanzant - 07-16-2003, 02:09 PM
Re: [SturgeonKid] Fishing on Catalina... - by gvanzant - 07-16-2003, 10:28 PM