Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fly Fishing Guess Work
I am curious as how you fly fisherman/women decide what to use on any certain day or creek and/or lake/river?

I know that matching the hatch is the first and foremost way to start, but when it comes to Leeches, Woolybuggers, Chironomids, etc, is there a certain way you decide what color or what fly to use? Are there certain times of year that certain flies are a must and others should not be used?

I seem to be the type who changes color every so often until I hook a fish and then stick with that color. As far as the fly I pick, it depends on where I am at and which rod I use. Sometimes I will pull out the sinking line if I am on a deep river or trolling on a lake. Other times I will pull out the floating line if I am on a smaller river/stream or small pond/lake and throw some dry flies or put on some nymphs or chironomids.

I have been out fly fishing the last few weekends and was thinking about this while fishing. A week ago there was no hatch, but I did great on dry flies around 14/16's in natural colors. This last weekend I could not hook a fish on dries even tho there was a hatch of some small black midges. I ended up using leeches with a trailing chironomid and hooked all my fish that combination.

Also, how long do you try something before you end up changing and trying something else? Do you use more than one fly when searching for the perfect fly and color? I know I quite often will tie on 4-5 nymphs, every one a different color to check things out and see what color the fish like best.

Curious minds want to know.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Fly Fishing Guess Work - by prvrt - 02-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Re: [prvrt] Fly Fishing Guess Work - by scorsi - 02-15-2010, 12:45 AM
Re: [prvrt] Fly Fishing Guess Work - by kochanut - 02-16-2010, 02:49 AM
Re: [prvrt] Fly Fishing Guess Work - by Tarponjim - 02-15-2010, 11:19 PM
Re: [prvrt] Fly Fishing Guess Work - by windriver - 02-16-2010, 03:26 AM
Re: [MatchT] Fly Fishing Guess Work - by prvrt - 02-16-2010, 04:32 AM
Re: [prvrt] Fly Fishing Guess Work - by MatchT - 02-16-2010, 06:31 AM
Re: [prvrt] Fly Fishing Guess Work - by scorsi - 02-16-2010, 09:08 AM
Re: [prvrt] Fly Fishing Guess Work - by sneekee_1 - 02-20-2010, 05:02 AM