Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Halibuts and Georgia
Now that i caught your attention with the subject title let me explain. I went to a new spot Ive been trying out near the "Wedge" in Newport Beach California. I was fishing a area near a rocky point using a piece of shrimp on a leader with a bullet weight on my ultralight rod with 6 pound test when WHAM!!! I got a solid smack on my rod. I leaned back and got a solid hook-set and away I went. This was my first "Big Fish" and I wasnt prepared to see my ultralight rod double in half. At one point I had to hold the rod tip straight while this thing almost completley spooled my reel. After getting yanked all over the harbor it seemed like and spinning me round and round I managed to horse him close to tubeside. I thought i had won the battle and the thing dove every time i got him close to fin level. After another couple minutes of that game i finally got him in eye shot and saw it was a BIG halibut. My first.... After closer inspection i noticed he far surpassed my deicated bassin net and decided to try and try anyways. I managed to get him halfway in the net and got a few pics and then scurried to shore to safely remove the hook and release the beast. We also managed to hook into a couple other craoker and bass, as well as a hal-ette as TD would call it. Heres a couple of pics.Couldnt get a exact measurement but around 22 -24 inches on the monster. Man what a feelin !!!!

Now for the second part of my post. A couple of weeks ago i went out to Georgia to visit my folks. We planned a camping trip since the last few visits entailed family visits and "seing the town" I spent the fist day at theyre place then early the next morning the whole troop loaded up and we headed out to our camp ground in South Carolina at a lake called lake Horton. Said to be a whopping 3000 sq acres. The trip was great and we managed to catch a few striped bass as well as a variety of small cats,sun fish and the biggest damn turtles ive ever seen/caught. Sorry not a whole lot of fish pics, dont ask why i get more pics out on my tube then bank tangling. The weather was not the greatest hot and humid with occasional downpours from the thunderstorms wich seemed to inhibit the bite alittle not to mention the water was as hot as a warm bath. Maybe next time ill risk the snakes and go for bringin my tube. oh one last thing, the last picture is a restaraunt my parents took us. It was all you can eat country cookin on a huge lazy suzan. Maybe the best fried chicked and corn bread ive ever had.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Halibuts and Georgia - by Bassassin714 - 09-01-2010, 05:21 AM