Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation Sneak Attack 9-7-10
"So next week you'll have fashioned a PVC lid to cover that basket, no?"

[cool][#0000ff]The fish baskets I use come with a wire lid that is held in place with a spring. I remove the spring because it makes it easier to drop in a fish with one hand rather than having to use both hands to force the fish down through the lid. This is especially handy when fishing a school of perch or white bass when it is fast action and the fish are not large enough to force open the lid by themselves. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is very uncommon for most of the fish I catch to spy the opening and then to consciously leap through the hole to freedom. It has happened with several species. No biggie. Survival of the fittest. A smart fish like that deserves to pass on their genes to future generations. I don't cry about it. I usually laugh and salute the wily wascal.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Like Starvation? Yeah verily. To me it offers the current best place to fish for multi species...using the same tackle and techniques...with a real expectation of catching a bunch of each on an "average" day. There is no better perch or walleye fishery in Utah these days. And if you like smallmouth bass it will keep you busy almost anywhere around the lake. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Until last year the only trout were the few but sizeable browns. They were considered a nice bonus by those who caught one and had a real following that fished them in late fall and at ice out. Since the rainbows were heavily planted last year there seems to be a whole new group of anglers who hit Starvation just for the trout. I personally enjoy catching them but usually count them as "just another species" in a multi species day.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Once you gain a bit of knowledge about Starvation it will usually treat you well. The only time I have come close to blanking is through the ice. That lake is stingy in the winter. All the fish hide out in their little fishy ski lodges through the winter and watch the dumb ice fishermen on closed circuit TV. I'm sure they get a good laugh as they see us running all over the lake on our wheelers and snow mobiles and drilling holes where they ain't.[/#0000ff]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Starvation Sneak Attack 9-7-10 - by TubeDude - 09-08-2010, 01:05 AM
Re: [CoyoteSpinner] Starvation Sneak Attack 9-7-10 - by TubeDude - 09-08-2010, 06:44 PM