Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Report 8/23
Hey Jack, it sounds like you had a great day on Strawberry. Did you do all of this in your canoe? I have never had much luck on the largest minnows, and I have always had better luck with the red shiner chub minnows than the plain chub minnows. I prefer the three to five inch red shiners. One thing that you might try with the larger minnows is cutting them in thirds, and especially fishing with the middle section. I think the time of year has a lot to do with the size of minnow that works the best. Especially in the fall, I believe they will go for larger minnows than they will this time of year. If they don't hit the minnow by the time it has sunk to the bottom, I start reeling it in, either slowly, or a few quick turns of the reel, and then let it set for a few seconds. Using a slip bobber is also a great way to fish them. Also, drifting with them can be extremely effective. There is no trick to catching the smaller minnows. I usually catch a mixture of both. The larger minnows should also be good to fillet and fish for the mackinaws. I wouldn't throw them up on the shore -- a game warden may ticket you for doing that. If you don't want them, either for fishing, or for growing rose bushes or something else, I would put them in a bag and put them in the trash, but not leave them on the shore.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Strawberry Report 8/23 - by Shrimpboy - 08-24-2003, 11:11 PM
Re: [Shrimpboy] Strawberry Report 8/23 - by kentofnsl - 08-25-2003, 12:10 AM
Re: [Fishrmn] Strawberry Report 8/23 - by polokid - 08-25-2003, 05:16 PM