Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shellcracker (Redear Sunfish) for Idaho?
I know of a spot in Wyoming where the Game and Fish has repeatedley tried to get cutthroats established. I guess it never has had them although it drains into a cutthroat river. The only thing they can figure out why they have not been successful is that the water is to cold for insect life/food for the fish. The main fork of the creek is coming out of a mountain/cliff as a spring deep inside and a nice hole on this creek downstream from there some miles is as cold in August as a meltoff stream in June. If you were to walk this creek it just looks like a prime classic trout stream you see in your daydreams. Not to big or small, plenty of deep holes around bends, just plain gorgeous....a perfect example and not a fish around. I was very curious and asked around and that is what I was told. Would be interesting to go up some time and turn over rocks just to see what one would find.
I have also heard, like you say, that many of our reservoirs with the fluctuations in water level that occur yearly never properly establish insect life.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [TubeDude] Shellcracker (Redear Sunfish) for Idaho? - by lucabrasi - 02-27-2011, 01:53 AM