Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shellcracker (Redear Sunfish) for Idaho?
cpierce,

I agree that water draw down can play a factor in spawning success for bluegill. Also F&G said cold weather can play a big part in whether largemouth bass have a good successful spawn or not. Twin Lakes appears to be in a down cycle right now but for years it seemed to have a good population of bluegill. But then it only had largemouth bass as a predator, now it has crappie, bass and perch wolfing down the baby bluegills. This surely must be having some kind of major impact upon the bluegill population would you not think? I haven't seen baby bluegill in the shallows like I used to, there just not there anymore. Now the larger bluegills are getting hard to find.

Personally I think Johnson is out of balance. Seems there are a zillion baby bluegill in there now. When I was a kid there was only yellow perch, rainbow trout and largemouth bass and seemed to be a good balance. A lot of people fished for the large perch and the trout were a bonus. More tiger muskie or bass added back in might help the balance.

DeeCee [fishon]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [cpierce] Shellcracker (Redear Sunfish) for Idaho? - by DeeCee - 02-27-2011, 07:05 PM