Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What kind of life vest do you have?
I use SOSuspenders as well. You can find lots of them in boating stores such as West Marine. There's a similar Canadian manufacturer out there that makes the Mustangs. I believe lots of pilots uses them.

I got mine on sale so I have both a vest and a belt pack for spare. The Sport model is a type III with about 28# boyancy that costs about $80. I got the World Class model which is a type II with 32# of boyancy. The waist pack is also a type II. They come in auto inflate or manual inflate. The manual inflate models must be activated by pulling a rip cord when you are overboard. The auto inflate with pop on its own when you fall into the water. The auto inflate model can also be converted into a manual model which is what I did because I didn't want a splash to activate my vest.

The vest model is worned around the neck and harnessed around the waist so all you have to do is pull the cord. The waist pack you have to pull the bladder over your head after the cord is pulled. They can also be inflated orally if the CO2 failed or if additional air is desired.

Although they are type II or III they are also designated a type IV(or was it type V?) due to their inflatable nature which means that they do not fulfill the coast guard vessel requirement unless they are worn. This means that you cannot leave them in a bin.

I tested these in a swimming pool and they turned me from face down to face up very quickly. This is very important if you are unconscious.

Both the vest and waist pack models are very comfortable to wear and heat is not a factor. Wearing the vest is like drapping a scarf around the back of your neck and the waist pack is much like a fanny pack.

Ahimanic

Messages In This Thread
What kind of life vest do you have? - by Dryrod - 09-08-2003, 03:59 AM
Re: [DH_tubinjoe] What kind of life vest do you have? - by fishfather - 09-08-2003, 11:27 PM
Re: [TubeDude] What kind of life vest do you have? - by fishfather - 09-09-2003, 12:48 AM
Re: [TubeDude] What kind of life vest do you have? - by fishfather - 09-09-2003, 02:01 AM
Re: [Dryrod] What kind of life vest do you have? - by fishfather - 09-08-2003, 03:37 PM
Re: [Dryrod] What kind of life vest do you have? - by Ahimanic - 09-12-2003, 12:34 AM
Re: [Ahimanic] What kind of life vest do you have? - by fishfather - 09-12-2003, 02:35 AM
Re: [Dryrod] What kind of life vest do you have? - by fishfather - 09-22-2003, 06:37 PM