Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Epic Lake Cathrine Adventure 4-9
Lake Cathrine - We arrived at the parkin lot at 10am and saw the parking lot attendents that always wonder how the last adventure went. After chatting with them we made the mistake of visiting the restrooms in the lodge. The hosts, window cleaners, and out of outta staters just had to talk to us. Gosh we had a big hike ahead of us so we had to get moving! Well then the ski patrol came to talk with us........ again. We had some friendly banter and finally one of them said, it on the house boys, what chair you wanna ride? Oh yeah that shaved a half hour off the day!
We started by skiing down to the trail. We were at Lake Mary in 10mins, but that was not the goal. We arrived at Lake Cathrine by 12:45. We drilled a hole with EXTREME difficulty! We were shaking in our ski boots that the auger might not make it. We made it by 1 inch. The handle was hitting the egde of the hole! IT WAS 5 FEET 7.5 INCHES THICK!!!! We joked how guys were complaining of no ice yet when we almost didn't get through. The holes we dug were in 19 feet of water. After hours of no bites it was time for action.
I drilled a hole at 9 feet of water. A great sign was the weeds on the scout hook! Lost a fish right off the bat! Evil Tye Dye dug a hole at 8 feet or water. Wham he had a fish on the deck. Well one after another later I dug another hole at 6 feet of water. Considering we moved at 4pm and stayed till 6:30pm the action was hot! I caught 6 brook trout and my twin got 9 brook trout. We lost too many to count and had bites every few minutes.

As we packed out we collected all of our gear were eager for the ski down to the parking lot at Brighton. It was a mix of powder, crust and ice the whole way down. The ice was bad enough to chatter my teeth to chipping point and my feet tickled!

All day long we were using the pumpkin pepper jig as well as a pink, yellow, black striped ice fly that glows in the dark. All lures were tipped with nightcrawlers.

The perks of being a local is you get free lift rides!
[Image: 784729.JPG]

But eventually you must start the hiking somewhere
[Image: 784730.JPG]

Lake Catherine has to be here somewhere
[Image: 784731.JPG]

At lake Catherine....finally!
[Image: 784732.JPG]

The 1st Brookie of the day was a beauty!
[Image: 784733.JPG]

Me and my brookies
[Image: 784734.JPG]

EvilTyeDye's extremely colorful brook trout
[Image: 784735.JPG]

The Day's Brook Trout collection
[Image: 784736.JPG]

Me ice fishing Lake Catherine under Sunset Peak
[Image: 784737.JPG]

Me skiing back to the car
[Image: 784738.JPG]
[Image: 784740.JPG]